Go-kart racing requires a combination of skill and technique to be successful. Here are a few techniques that can help you improve your go-kart racing skills:
- Proper body position: Maintaining the correct body position is crucial for maintaining control of the kart. Keep your weight centered and keep your arms and legs relaxed to allow for quick and easy movement.
- Steering techniques: Go-karts have a very responsive steering, so proper steering technique is essential for maintaining control. Keep both hands on the steering wheel and try use your fingers and wrists to steer the kart as this will help with smoother inputs.
- Cornering techniques: Cornering is an important aspect of go-kart racing. To corner effectively, brake before entering the turn, then turn the steering wheel while accelerating out of the turn. This will help you maintain control and keep your speed up.
- Line selection: Choosing the right line on the track is important for maximizing speed and minimizing lap time. Try to take the fastest line through each corner, whilst keeping your kart on the edge of the racetrack. The dark rubber line on the circuit will provide the most grip in dry conditions.
- Look ahead: Always look ahead on the track, anticipate the next corner or straightaway. This will help you to be more prepared for what's coming and adjust your speed and race line accordingly. This will also open up more overtaking opportunities as you will be aware of the upcoming corners and any mistakes your competitors may make.
- Flat shifting: This technique is used in shifter go-karts; it allows you to shift gears smoothly and quickly without barely lifting off the throttle. It involves holding the accelerator pedal with your right foot while holding tension on the gear lever, ready to upshift as quickly as possible. To learn more about this technique, check out our Kart Class coach Danny Formals Shifter Kart Series.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: The more you practice, the better you will become. Practice different techniques and strategies on different tracks to improve your skills.
It's important to note that mastering these techniques takes time, so be patient and don't be discouraged if you don't see improvement right away.